Followers

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Summer Musings


When I was growing up our family vacationed during the summer on Balboa Island. We would walk around the island and watch the boats cruising the bay and returning from a day of racing in the ocean. How I longed to be out there with them.

Occasionally we would have a summer vacation where we rented a cabin around Lake Arrowhead, Lake Gregory and I longed for a boat ride cruise around the lake. Our family would walk along the piers and floats and beach and see sailboats and motor boats for rent. Paddleboards, kayaks, and foot propelled pontoon boats could be had for smaller fee. We always discussed renting a fancy boat, but dad being thrifty we more often than not we ended up with a paddleboard rental for an hour or two. Oh how I longed for a ride on the water on a "real boat".

Forty years have passed and things have changed. Last week was a wonderful and exciting. Monday and Friday, as a USCG licensed captain I was asked to help with a sailing regatta on San Diego Bay. I would leave home around 11 AM, drive 25 minutes to the bay to pick up a boat and sail on the bay with a group of six people. We would spend four hours sailing and then return to the dock. Each day I have a different boat, different people and changing weather. They pay me for this and I accept tips too. Monday four hours sailing on the bay, Wednesday eight hours of working in the office, Friday four sailing on the bay and getting paid for it all. WOW!

My longing for a real boat ride on the bay is being realized.

T.

No comments: