We should change our diesel engine oil in our boat every 100 hours, or one time a year. May is the month we change our oil and the time had arrived. We drained the old engine and transmission oil, changed the oil filter and added the new oil. It all looked rather clean as it had only been 31 hours of use for the year. As I started the engine to insure the new added oil was at the correct level I noticed the engine was shaking a little more than usual. I shut the engine down and checked the nuts on the motor mounts.
A couple of the nuts had worked themselves loose!!!!! It is hard to believe, but the evidence was there. I went to the nut and bolt store and discussed the problem with owner. He said they make nuts that will not loosen. I purchased four. I tightened the new nuts with their new lock washers and placed a double nut on each motor mount.
This should not happen again.
T&C
No comments:
Post a Comment